So you’re ready to start selling on Amazon, but you don’t know where to start? We’re here to help you get your ecommerce store started!
There are several steps to take when creating an Amazon listing. First and foremost, making sure you have high-quality images is one of the most important steps.
However, just having a clear image is only the first step. The secret to ranking better on Amazon? You must follow the Amazon image requirements. This will ensure that your image is accepted by the platform.
Ready to learn more? Follow this guide to ensure you are adhering to Amazon requirements and choosing the right images to represent your listing.
Key Amazon Product Image Requirements
When capturing product photos for your Amazon listing, it’s crucial to follow certain guidelines to ensure optimal quality and compliance. Amazon requires your primary photo, otherwise known as your hero image, to have a clean, white background. Then, your supplemental images can utilize white backdrops, colored backdrops, and lifestyle images.
To create professional-looking, high-quality photos, pay attention to the details such as image sharpness, lighting quality, and overall professionalism. If your product is a digital item with front cover art, it can cover the frame. However, if you do use a seamless backdrop, your product must take up 85% of the frame.
Let’s dive into more guidelines so you can create high-quality product photos that meet Amazon’s requirements.
Amazon Creative Spec Requirements for Images
High-quality images help customers compare products and understand what they are purchasing. Multiple images and videos allow customers to view products from different angles and can persuade a customer to purchase. Images should show the product by itself, in use, various angles, and different features. Here are a few more things to keep in mind with your product photos:
- Every Amazon detail page requires at least one product image
- Amazon recommends having at least six images and one product video.
- Images should be recognizable, well-lit, in-focus, clear and informative.
- Images should have a white background and fill at last 85% of the image space
- Provide as many different images as possible. Many product categories allow for the inclusion of swatch images and lifestyle images.
- Backgrounds are simple and clean so as not to distract from the product.
- Photos should also meet technical file requirements and image requirements.
Amazon Technical Specs for Images
- The Amazon image size cannot exceed 10 MB.
- Amazon photos will only be accepted in four file types: TIFF, JPEG, GIF, and PNG. The recommended file type is JPEG as it is the best format for Amazon
- For best results, your images should have minimal to zero compression. If using a TIFF file, you cannot use any compression.
- While editing, you can use layers. Make sure they are merged before saving the final file as photos with layers will not be accepted.
- Images should be 1,600 pixels or larger on the longest side. The minimum size requirement enables the zoom function on the website. Zoom functionality has proven to enhance sales. Files cannot exceed 10,000 pixels on the longest side.
- The widest image aspect ratio allowed is 5:1.
- Color should be RGB or CMYK. Pure white on the color wheel is RGB 255, 255, 255.
- Products should fill at least 85% of the image. The only exception is if you are selling a digital file, book, DVD, or CD. If that is the case, you should not use any white space.
- The resolution of the photo should be a minimum of 72 dpi.
While these are the minimum requirements, there are some ways to maximize the quality of your photos by using the recommended specs. For example, the most common image ratio is 1:1 which is a square image. You will find that most photos on the site are a 1:1 ratio. These photos also usually have dimensions of 2,000 x 2,000 pixels.
Amazon Photo Naming Conventions
Once you have your photos, the next step is to upload them to your listing. Amazon has a naming convention that should be used for all photos. There are three main elements of the naming convention: the product identifier, the variant code, and the file extension. Below are some examples of each to help you with naming your files.
How to Optimize Product Search Terms
Search terms are the keywords that allow you to create readable and engaging content for a product page. These terms also help Amazon index all keywords relevant to the product. Shoppers don’t actually see these keywords, but rather they are included on the backend of the product listing. This helps enhance the discoverability of your products!
- Only include generic words
- You can skip hyphens, colons and so forth.
- Don’t repeat words within the Search Terms field
- Use singular or plural, no need for both
- You can use all lowercase
- Include abbreviations, alternate names, spelling variations, and phrases.
Video Requirements for Amazon Listings
Amazon recommends adding at least one video to your Amazon listing page. When creating videos for your Amazon product listings, it’s important to adhere to certain requirements. By including high-quality video that enhances your listing, you can set your product apart from your competitors. Here are some key things to keep in mind when you are creating your video.
- For optimal quality, aim for a video dimension of at least 1920x1080 pixels with a 16:9 aspect ratio
- Your frame rate should be at least 15 FPS
- Audio quality should be at least 128 kbps or 44 khz
- The video file size should not exceed 500 MB
- The recommended video codes are H.264, MPEG-2, or MPEG-4, while the preferred audio codecs are MP3 or AAC
- The ideal video duration is 15 seconds, though you can have a video up to 3 minutes long
- Shorter videos tend to perform better & to showcase your product’s features
- Avoid any call-to-action prompts
Utilizing A+ Content
The content on your Amazon product page should serve as a valuable tool in selling your product. Insert Amazon A+ Content, which gives potential customers more ways to interact with your content.
It’s important to note that Amazon A+ Content is only available to brand owners and professional sellers who have already been approved through the Amazon Brand Registry (ABR) program.
Amazon A+ Content offers a range of multimedia content to help you tell your brand and product story in a more engaging way. With options such as HD videos, high-resolution photography, and custom comparison charts of other products, sellers can use rich text, images, and video to enhance the product descriptions of their Amazon Standard Identification Number (ASIN).
Amazon infographics are a key piece of Amazon A+ content. We specifically designed our Amazon infographic pack to capture the attention of potential customers and increase sales.
Our expert team curated these graphics to highlight the most important features of your product and communicate its value to customers. The best part? They meet Amazon’s search algorithm requirements.
The result is more visibility for your products, increased trust in your brand, and an improved shopping experience for your customers. According to Amazon, using A+ content can boost product sales by an average of 3-10%.
Creating Amazon A+ Content for your product listing doesn’t have to be hard. Check out our ultimate guide to Amazon A+ Content guide!
Put your best foot forward when it comes to Amazon A+ content and your visuals. Use this guide to create A+ Content modules in the correct sizes:
- Feature 1 Module - 4 images (line) - 220 X 220 pixels each
- Feature 2 Module - 3 images (line) - 300 X 300 pixels each
- Feature 3 Module - 4 Images (grid) - 135 X 135 pixels each
- Header 4 Module - 1 image (left) - 300 X 300 pixels
- Header 5 Module - 1 image (right) - 300 X 300 pixels
- Header 6 Module - 1 image - 970 X 300 pixels
- Header Image Module - 1 image - 970 X 600 pixels
- Single Image and Sidebar - 2 images - Main (300 x 400 pixels), Sidebar (350 X 175 pixels)
- Four Image Highlights - 4 images - 300 X 300 pixels
- Single Image and Spec Details - 1 image - 300 X 300 pixels
- Single Image and Highlights - 1 image - 300 X 300 pixels
- Image and Light Text Overlay - 1 image - 970 X 300 pixels
Final Takeaways for your Amazon Listings
When optimizing your product listing for maximum visibility on Amazon, it’s crucial to make your listing stand out! Here are some final tips to keep in mind as you create your listing:
- Utilize images + video: While your main hero image is important, Amazon suggests uploading at least six images and one product video to your Amazon listing. This significantly helps boost your chances of attracting customers.
- Prioritize high-quality photos: when selecting your photos, make sure to follow both creative and technical specs that we outlined above to ensure you are following best practices. Photos are often the primary factor in influencing purchasing decisions, so make sure your images are high-resolution and visually appealing.
- Incorporate lifestyle images: consider including lifestyle photos that demonstrate how your product can be used so customers can understand how your product fits in their lives. Lifestyle images can provide a better understanding of your product’s value and benefits as well as help customers visualize themselves using it.
By following these tips, you can create outstanding product listings that capture your customers’ attention and boost your success on Amazon. If you’re ready to invest in high-quality images that showcase your product’s features, benefits, and usage, soona can help take the guesswork out of what you need.
We are Amazon experts and our team of professionals and creatives know how to showcase your product in the best light (no pun intended) to encourage your customers to “add to cart.”
Visit soona.co to check out our Amazon A+ Content Basic Pack, Amazon A+ Content Premium Pack, Amazon Infographic Pack, and our Amazon 360 Interactive Photo Pack, or if you’re looking for something custom-built, you can build your own custom shoot today!
Can I upload images to Amazon in PDF format?
- Submitting images in PDF file format is not accepted by Amazon. The acceptable file formats for images on Amazon are limited to TIFF, JPEG, GIF, and PNG.
Can Amazon images include graphics or text?
- Yes! If you are interested in learning more about Amazon infographics - check out our Amazon Infographics pack
How should I name my Amazon product photo?
- There are three main elements of the naming convention: the product identifier, the variant code, and the file extension.
What is the best image ratio for Amazon product photos?
- The best image ratio for Amazon product photos is 1:1 (a square image). These photos also usually have dimensions of 2,000 x 2,000 pixels.
How many extra images can I upload to Amazon?
- Amazon allows a seller to add as many as 9 extra product images and one video.